The everyday life of our Christian, homeschooling family of 6!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Peace

What? There really IS such a thing as peace? Even in a household of 6 with children constantly running, screaming, laughing, crying, and tugging on me in need of one thing or another?

YES! God says so!

Isaiah 32:17 (NLT) ~ And this righteousness will bring peace.
Yes, it will bring quietness and confidence forever.


Whoa. Quietness and confidence....FOREVER??? I think I could deal with that.

The 'title' of this passage in scripture (Isaiah 32) is called 'Israel's Ultimate Deliverance', and the scripture I posted above is actually directed towards women specifically. Here is a bigger picture of what's going on.

Isaiah 32:9-20 (NLT) ~

9 Listen, you women who lie around in ease;
Listen to me, you who are so smug.
10 In a short time—just a little more than a year—
you careless ones will suddenly begin to care.
For your fruit crops will fail,
and the harvest will never take place.
11 Tremble, you women of ease;
throw off your complacency.
Strip off your pretty clothes,
and put on burlap to show your grief.
12 Beat your breasts in sorrow for your bountiful farms
and your fruitful grapevines.

13 For your land will be overgrown with thorns and briers.
Your joyful homes and happy towns will be gone.
14 The palace and the city will be deserted,
and busy towns will be empty.
Wild donkeys will frolic and flocks will graze
in the empty forts and watchtowers
15 until at last the Spirit is poured out
on us from heaven.
Then the wilderness will become a fertile field,
and the fertile field will yield bountiful crops.

16 Justice will rule in the wilderness
and righteousness in the fertile field.
17 And this righteousness will bring peace.
Yes, it will bring quietness and confidence forever.
18 My people will live in safety, quietly at home.
They will be at rest.
19 Even if the forest should be destroyed
and the city torn down,
20 the Lord will greatly bless his people.
Wherever they plant seed, bountiful crops will spring up.
Their cattle and donkeys will graze freely.


And here's a great excerpt from a site I found studying this chapter of Isaiah.


32:9-14 The Complacent Women

Isaiah calls out in prophecy to the women of Jerusalem in his day.

These women had become complacent - arrogant, careless, feeling safe.

But just about a year from then, disaster would come upon them - it was

certain. He tells them that they should recognize this and repent, humbling

themselves before God.


32:15-20 The Spirit Poured Out

Isaiah had said that the land of Israel would suffer many things for

many years. Even today, it is in turmoil, with worse things yet to come.

But one day, the Spirit will be poured out upon the Jews, and the land

of Israel will change radically. That event will begin a time of wonderful

peace for them.

(rondaniel.com)


Ouch. The women were complacent. Arrogant. Careless. I really don't know if there is any greater criticism than this. When I look at my life, the way I'm living right now, I can probably be bitterly honest and say that, yes, I am complacent.


complacent : pleased, especially with oneself or one's merits, advantages,situation, etc., oftenwithout awareness of some potential danger or defect; self-satisfied


Maybe even arrogant as well. Not blatantly, but how am I serving others who are not as well off as I am? Am I at all? Do I even take a second look at someone who is asking for help on the streets?


arrogant : making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights;overbearinglyassuming; insolently proud


And careless. How awful is this. And when I look deep into myself, am I not careless at times?


careless : not paying enough attention to what one does; not exact, accurate, or thorough; notcaring or troubling; having no care or concern;unconcerned


Depressed yet?? Whew, I am just looking all this up. My heart aches to think of the 'complacent woman' I am and what will come to me if I remain like this. But HALLELUJAH that the Lord God will send PEACE in the midst of all this!!!! What an AMAZING gift! God KNOWS we are not perfect. God KNOWS that we will fail at times. God KNOWS that we get overwhelmed and discouraged. He KNOWS that we may lose sight and become complacent, arrogant and careless. But what an amazing thing Grace is. No matter how little we deserve it or how hard we want to fight it, the free offering of His Grace is always and forever before us.


Deuteronomy 31:8 (NLT) ~ Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.


TO GOD BE THE GLORY! AMEN!

1 comment: